King Cake

King Cake

Thursday, March 17, 2011

BBQ Shrimp and Grits suggested by Caro Ferguson

I recently asked friends on Facebook for recipe suggestions. My neighbor Caro Ferguson asked if I has a recipe for Shrimp and Grits. I told her that I had one with a New Orleans twist. I had never made Shrimp & Grits. So to get my wife to try it, I made it with my BBQ Shrimp recipe. I don't ever remember seeing it made that way anywhere. Not long after, this dish started showing up on New Orleans restaurant menus. I guess I was a little before my time.

BBQ Shrimp & Grits

BBQ Shrimp
1 pounds 15-20 or larger Wild American Shrimp Head & Tail on
3/4 pound Butter (3 sticks)
3/4 cup Olive Oil
2 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic, Chopped
2 teaspoons Basil Leaves (Dry)
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoons Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
3/4 teaspoon Oregano (Dry)
3/4 teaspoon Thyme (Dry)
3/4 teaspoon BBQ Seasoning
1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning

Melt butter in Olive Oil in a large pot.  Combine all other ingredients, adding shrimp last.  Cook on Medium High Heat for 10 minutes.

Grits
¾ cup Quick Grits
3 cups Water
¼ teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Add the grits and salt. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.

Put grits in 4 bowls. Place shrimp on top and pour a little of the shrimp sauce on top of grits.


Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite dishes. You're not alone. I've been doing it this way for years.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think about the recipe or if you are looking for a specific recipe.